26 October, 2018

Field trip of Isolation

What is inclusivity?

Not only did I go to professional development about this for 6 years, I studied it at grad school for two years.

So, I want to say that I have a pretty good idea what inclusivity is.

And maybe that's why I am just BLOWN away right now.

Okay. Wait. Before I go any further, let me just add that this isn't my first time facing this problem. I identify with a few minority groups that have limited me before.

But holy shit.

It's something else when it comes to being in another country for a job who has specifically asked for a foreign teacher and then go through such a blatant show of segregation.

What.

Even.

Maybe it doesn't seem like a big deal, but damn. For me, it kind of feels like a slap in my face. 

Instead of splitting the teacher group apart, you can have me sit by myself away from the teachers and other students. And sure, you can also not include me in any conversation. 

I thought it was my fault that no one was reaching out to me, but after this incident...I wanna say that it takes more than just me to make an effort. To build bridges. 

Hopefully, the next field trip will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment