26 April, 2018

I Didn't Even Know, tho!

I really didn't.

Now you must be wondering, 'What do you mean you didn't even know? Know what?'

And that's my point exactly. I had no idea what I was doing or going to do. Since birth, it has been ingrained what the appropriate pathway would be.

Please note: I do not agree with the following life style, as everyone has a different way to their end game!

Essentially, the "appropriate" life path goes:

  1.  School
  2. Secondary School (Bachelor's)
  3. Marriage
  4. Child
  5. Post-grad school, maybe?
  6. Retirement
And well, after that is death, but let's not get so sad, shall we?

But yeah, that's the general outline of what your life should look like or follow. But I'm calling BS. That life path might suit some best, but for others, that life can be in a complete different order. (Though, I'm pretty sure that Retirement is at the end. Right? I'm only 24. I haven't really looked into it that much...)

There I was, just graduating high school, going into college for a Bachelor's degree in French, with the goal of becoming a translator. This was a big moment for me. I had plans.

Or so I thought.

Four years later, what I thought my life would look like after graduation was no where near my expectations. I was pretty upset and that carried with me. In fact, it's still with me today. I am afraid that the things I've been working on for the last two years are going to be taken away. I had to change gears. I took it as a sign that perhaps translating isn't where my talents lie elsewhere.

It took about six months, but I changed gears and pursued another interest of mine. In the next week(-ish), I will be walking across the stage during my second graduation ceremony for a Masters in Interdisciplinary Studies with a certification in Gender Studies and second certification in Teaching English as a Foreign Language.

It's hard keeping your head up with all the pressures and expectations from those around you. That's why this post is to show that even though I didn't know what I wanted from life and whether I followed the path of what's right, it's okay. I go at my own time. I go at my own pace. What's important is that I live my best life for me.

Who even knows when I get married and whether I have children. Right now, in my life, my focus is teaching abroad for as long as I can. :)







No comments:

Post a Comment