23 July, 2018

Week 2 - La's Placement

Hands slightly shaking with sweaty palms. Breaths coming faster, but controlled. Blood rushing to my ears. Clenching fingers squeeze briefly before letting go.

It was go time.

When I heard my name, all the worries and noises went away. I knew what I had to do during my Placement Ceremony. 

It was go time.

Paper in hand, standing straight in front of Director Shim, I gave a 90-degree bow and was then off to place my sticker on the map. 

It was go time.

Clearly...its in the red part...
I have the honor to be teaching at 주상초등학교 (Jusang Elementary School) in 거창군 (Geochang county). It is the province of 경상남도(Gyeongsangnam-do). And by the looks of it, it's a small village school! While some of my fellow ETAs are going to be teaching 500+ students, I will be teaching what looks to be 19 students. 

That's right, Fam.

You read that right.

19 students.

As in ten plus nine equals nineteen! 

I will be taking whatever chance I can to practice/learn Korean as my students will be working hard to learn English! If teacher can do it, so can they!

Relatedly, I don't know how well y'all know your Korean education systems, but elementary school goes up to sixth grade. And since ETAs start teaching at third grade, I will have 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th graders. My fourth grade class looks to be the biggest with ten students. My smallest classes have three students. 

Fam, I can't lie here. These are literally the numbers I was given/researched through the internet.

Do I have any concerns?

Well, I did. I mean, I went from city beautiful, to what looks to be a mountain township. It'll be a big change. And I think I'm ready for that. This is what I've been waiting for these last three years - a challenge! - and I'm ready!

But what I am preparing myself for is being the first black person the people in my township may be meeting. It doesn't look like there were any former ETAs at this school, it's a small place and up in a mountainous area. Then here I come in all my wonderful, beautiful glory or a hot mess. Not only am I representing America and Fulbright, but the black community for this township.

I am really thankful that I've had the chance to talk to former/renewing ETAs who are black and discussed their experiences. It's helped settle a lot of my concerns.

However, I don't think I can get rid of my all of my concern just yet. Not until I'm there and have established myself!

With my placement mostly out of the way, it's all about meeting my Placement Family now! I'll be working hard on my Korean!

Until next week's post...make good choices Fam (like dropping a comment!)

#SaveOurToya

3 comments:

  1. How exciting! I will be doing some research on your new location. Of course after I reorganize my guest (La's) room. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure how much information you'll be able to pull up. It's quite remote by the looks of it?? It may just be, I'll update information as I come across it.

      Delete